London's calling and the Ampersand Hotel is on the line. You may not be wearing the real royal crown, but you are sure to be crowned the party host extraordinaire with a shindig or dinner party at this hotspot. This new British beauty offers 111 bedrooms and 3+ venue spaces just seconds away from the South Kensington tube station. The iconic ampersand symbol illustrates the hotel’s role in connecting its guests to the best of South Kensington.
Want a little history lesson? The hotel opened in August of 2012, after an extensive renovation and is one of London’s original Victorian boutique hotels, having opened way back in 1888. Classic English heritage meets a contemporary interior with restored original Victorian features visible in all areas from the impressive high ceilings to the hauntingly beautiful gargoyles. This new London experience has individually styled bedrooms, splashes of contemporary art and a ground floor patisserie serving artisanal coffee and Champagne.
HOW WILL MY GUESTS GET HERE?: London Heathrow is the city’s main airport and is 15 miles from the hotel. London Gatwick is 30 miles from the hotel and The Gatwick Express takes 30 minutes into London Victoria Station, approximately a 10 minute transfer from the hotel. London is also served by London City, Luton and Stansted Airports.
The Ampersand Hotel has several rooms which are available for events and parties, including an impressive private dining room. Looking for the ultimate venue to wow your friends? At The Ampersand Hotel, inspirational interiors make it a popular venue for corporate events & private parties in the three venue spaces.
The Library. With a capacity for 12 seated and up to 35 standing, this intimate snug is perfect for a low-key conference, press day, private lunch or small cocktail reception. The Library is home to The Ampersand’s specially-curated collection of books, providing a unique interior style and inspiration for conversation.
Games Room. Accommodating up to 20 seated or 50 standing, the Games Room offers an irreverent backdrop for your corporate event or private celebration. Shelves in the Games Room are lined with books and curiosities while at the room’s heart is a full-size table-tennis table.
Wine Room. Adjacent to Apero restaurant, this is a decadent, elegant space for private dining for 10 people. Statement lighting, a polished basalt floor and an imposing oak banqueting table make this a sophisticated environment to sample The Ampersand’s wine cellar. Bottles of wine are displayed along with a selection of books specially curated for the hotel by bookseller Philip Blackwell, while modern games sit alongside elegant antiques in quirky Victorian style.
- baby shower
- birthday party
- bridal shower
- corporate event
- dinner party
- holiday party
- social event
Bubbles & Cream. Afternoon tea at The Ampersand is a special affair. Choose from one of the menus featuring the excellent housemade pastries and savouries: Classic Afternoon Tea inlcudes four tartines – savoury Gloucester 'old spot' ham with sauce gribiche; coronation chicken; Seven & Wye smoked salmon with dill and cream cheese; and cheese with fruit chutney–followed by scones with jam and clotted cream and a selection of delicate pastries.
From the interior design to the collections and curiosities, The Ampersand Hotel unites guests with the local surrounding area through the five themes of botany, music, geometry, ornithology and astronomy.
1. Cheeky Plates: We particularly love the 'French finesse meets cheeky British style' in The Drawing Rooms. With large windows onto the bustling London street scene, this is the perfect place to watch the world go by while enjoying pretty patisseries, tartines and afternoon tea. These quirky and fun hand-painted, altered vintage plates would be perfect to serve pastries on. 2. Brass + Bubblegum Pink: Not much decor is needed at this venue, but pops of color with candles would be easy and make a great statement. 3. DIY Placecards: Make these easy and colorful place cards for your ladies. The DIY via Oh So Beautiful Paper.
- You can throw an afternoon tea party with pretty pastries amongst studded velvet armchairs in the drawing room.
- The hotel opened in August of 2012, after an extensive renovation and is one of London’s original Victorian boutique hotels, having opened way back in 1888.
- Choose to host your soiree from 3+ well designed venue spaces
- Centrally located with a ton for your guests to do!
- The games room is a unique venue lined with books, curiosities, and at the room’s heart is a full-size table-tennis table.
Calling all Wine lovers! You must stop by The Sampler At 35 Thurloe Place. Here you will be able to sample some of the world's most unusual and interesting wines at this independent wine merchant, which has over 1500 wines on offer and 80 of them available to sample.
The world's greatest museum of art and design is just a five-minute walk from The Ampersand Hotel. From pearl-encrusted ballgowns and art nouveau glass to Japanese prints and Islamic metalwork, there is a niche to intrigue everyone. The shop is a destination unto itself.
No visit to London is complete without a jaunt around this world-famous palace of a department store. With over 300 departments and 32 restaurants, there is something for everyone here, from furs to picnic hampers. The Food Hall and Christmas departments are musts.