A place of tranquility and beauty originally built in 1939 as retreat for private mediation and prayer.
The Little Chapel in-the-Woods’ rich symbolism carefully portrays “Woman Ministering to Human Needs” on saw-pierced and riveted brass lighting, & woodwork executed in beech, hand carving woodwork on the pews.
Amenities A/V Equipment Bridal Suite/Changing Rooms Onsite Street Parking Wifi Ample Parking Onsite Dining Chairs Dining Tables Onsite Restrooms Venue Features The Scene: As you walk into the Little Chapel in-the-Woods you are entering into a tradition. Located on the edge of Texas Women’s University, the chapel is a secluded sanctuary that has held weddings since September 1939, a few months before its dedication by Eleanor Roosevelt. The natural beauty that surrounds the Little Chapel is harmonized by the beautiful interior stain glass windows. The Little Chapel in-the-Woods’ rich symbolism carefully portrays “Woman Ministering to Human Needs” on saw-pierced and riveted brass lighting, & woodwork executed in beech, hand carving woodwork on the pews.
The Chapel, 90 feet long by 24 feet wide, was designed by architect O’Niel Ford. It was build as a project of the National Youth Administration during the Depression, and dedicated by former First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt. History surrounds the Little Chapel in-the-Woods, just like every item in the chapel is stamped with an artistic touch from young women artists. As the sunlight shines through the stained glass windows a romantic blue hue is reflected on the stone walls. While the exterior is surrounded by beautiful green landscapes. Design: Under the supervisions of Dorothy A. LaSelle, TWU students competed in designing ornamentation for ceiling beams, exterior cornices, the vestibule floor Texas stone, and wall patterns. Other undergraduate’s students participated in designing and carving woodwork for the lectern, pulpit and pews ends, and designing the metal trim of the Chapel door. Graduate students supervised the design and execution of the stained glass window, metal candlesticks and a cross for the altar. Standout Venue Features: Constructed in 1938 and dedicated by Eleanor Roosevelt on November 1, 1939, the Little Chapel has been named one of Texas’ most outstanding architectural achievements. The historic " TWU Wedding Book" (originally called the "TWU Bride's Book") lists many of the weddings that were held in the Chapel over the years. The chapel seats a total of 110 people, including 15 seats in the balcony. The chapel may be used for traditional weddings, non denominational services, and recitals. Extra Perks: Tea light candles along the edges, lighted candelabras, unity candle stands, pew clips, piano, organ, and sound system.
*Wedding packages include ceremony and reception rental, tables & linens, catering, champagne flutes, Chapel ornament, and wedding cake. Awards & Notables
Dedicated by First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt dedicated the Little Chapel on November 1, 1939
In 1983, the Texas Society of Architects selected the Little Chapel as one of the 20 buildings representing “Texas’ Proudest Architectural Achievements of All Time: Building’s selected for the honor were those ‘that have most influenced, or will prove to influence Texas’ architectural history.”
"Best of Denton- Best Wedding Venue" Winner 2014, 2015, & 2016
Celebration Locations LITTLE CHAPEL IN-THE-WOODS: Wedding chapel - View: Interior - Max Capacity: 110 GREENHOUSE AND GARDENS: Outdoor ceremony site - View: Historic white Greenhouse - Max Capacity: 100 HUBBARD HALL: Several banquet rooms perfect for receptions - View: Exterior brick wall, detailed champagne interior - Max Capacity: 400 THIS VENUE DOES NOT HAVE ANY REPORTS AT THIS TIME. Check back again soon!